Academy Guidance Specialist
Reports to: Counseling Coordinator K-12
- Guides students through the relevant guidance curriculum in accordance with the departmental standards and benchmarks;
- Makes available to students’ opportunities for individual and/or group counseling for personal, social and academic challenges;
- Communicates with parents the progress of the students;
- Provides essential information to teachers about students which will result in desirable classroom relationships;
- Interprets the results of standardized tests for students, teachers, and parents;
- Assists and guides students through career exploration and the college/university application process;
- Provides guidance to students when selecting courses for the succeeding year;
- Takes a leading role in the scheduling process, working with the Principal and Counseling Coordinator on the Master schedule and on conflict-solving;
- Assists students and parents in creating and updating Academic Paths;
- Maintains an active profile on Unifrog and monitors student progress;
- Works closely with the Principal on individual and group issues;
- Serves on the Child Study Team committee;
- Conducts small group counseling sessions directed toward issues of concern to the student body (i.e. study skills groups, bullying, etc.);
- Administers placement tests;
- Facilitates and organizes new student orientation/registration and the Academy Buddy program;
- Creates and monitors all student schedules;
- Monitors quarterly progress reports and works with students/families to determine plans of action;
- Serves as team member of school-wide Advisory Program and attends relevant Advisory meetings;
- Assists students with scholarship and award opportunities;
- Attends relevant Professional Development meetings;
- Serves as creative team member of school-wide Wellness Week;
- Keeps the K-12 Counseling Coordinator abreast of all relevant issues;
- Works closely with the OLP department to facilitate smooth progress of students with learning differences;
- Works closely with the JK-12 counseling psychologist as needed regarding student socio-emotional well being;
- Works closely with Registrar in relation to college/university application process;
- Provides comprehensive college counseling in order for students to achieve their 'Best Fit' higher level institution;
- Other duties, as assigned.
- Teaching certification or equivalent in Guidance Counseling/School Counseling;
- Academic degrees from an accredited University/College in relevant field (MA);
- At least two years of relevant experience;
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate, both orally and written, in English;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality as necessary;
- Knowledge of technological tools; word, excel, moodle.
- Display commitment to safeguarding and protection of children.
To be considered for this vacancy, please complete this form and submit in English:
- Cover letter, which should include a statement of how you connect to ACS Athens' mission;
- Resume and;
- The contact information for three professional references.
As applications are received, interviews will be scheduled for best fit candidates and please note the school may make final hiring decisions prior to the posted deadline.
ACS Athens does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, or disability in admission to, access to, employment in, or treatment in its programs and activities. ACS Athens is an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workplace. The school system's educational philosophy and HR goals, including the goal of equal employment opportunity, will be considered in filling all positions.